Luke Littler Fires Fiery Warning to Rivals After World Grand Prix Breakthrough
Luke Littler, the 18-year-old darts sensation, has sent a stern and fiery message to his competitors, declaring that his aggressive approach will remain unrelenting as he eyes further glory in the 2025 World Grand Prix. Fresh off a dominant 2-0 sets victory over Gian van Veen in the first round on October 7—where he overcame the Dutch prodigy’s record-breaking 106.47 average with his own blistering 105.58—Littler issued the warning in a post-match interview with Sky Sports, emphasizing his intent to stay “fiery” throughout the £600,000 double-in/double-out event. “I said I would be fiery in my pre-match interview and I showed a bit of that,” Littler stated, his eyes gleaming with the confidence of a champion who’s just exorcised demons from two prior first-round exits.
The Breakthrough Win: A Record-Breaking Thriller
Littler’s opener against van Veen, the 20-year-old 2024 World Youth Champion, was a generational spectacle that lived up to every ounce of hype. Van Veen entered with a 4-3 head-to-head edge, including two recent European Tour upsets, and shattered Alan Warriner-Little’s 24-year-old tournament record with a 106.47 average—featuring 10 legs above 100 and a 147 checkout. Yet, Littler’s superior doubling (45% success rate) and leg-winning efficiency (8-2) proved decisive, as he clinched the sets 3-1 and 3-2 with a clutch 144 on D20. The 11-minute masterclass, the highest-quality first-rounder in Grand Prix history per Sky Sports’ Paul Nicholson, marked Littler’s first advancement in the event after losses to Rob Cross (2023) and Michael van Gerwen (2024).
“This is the best I’ve ever played in this format,” Littler reflected, admitting the double-start rule—a mechanic he previously “didn’t like”—had grown on him. “Gian was unreal with that average, but I stayed composed.” The £7,500 payday boosts his PCOM to 52nd (£36,500), easing risks from selective Pro Tour play amid an elbow niggle.
The Fiery Message: “I’ll Keep Bringing the Heat”
Littler’s warning wasn’t just bravado; it was a promise of sustained intensity. “I said I would be fiery and I showed a bit of that,” he told Sky Sports, alluding to his pre-tournament vow to channel aggression in the “toughest” major alongside the Worlds and Matchplay. Coming hours after his shock split from ZXF Management—opting for self-management with family and Target Darts’ Garry Plummer—the comments carried extra weight, signaling Littler’s determination to control his destiny on and off the oche. “I’m on my own now—it’s just myself—and that fire’s staying lit,” he added, hinting at the independence fueling his edge.
The message serves as a heads-up to rivals like Humphries (No. 1, £1.68M Order of Merit lead) and van Gerwen, with Littler now facing the Wright-De Decker winner in the last 16. His Grand Prix momentum—post a 3-0 demolition of De Decker—positions him for a potential £120,000 title, his fourth major of 2025.
Rivals React: Price and Humphries Brace for Battle
Price, Littler’s quarterfinal foe after a 3-0 rout of Rock, fired back with mind games: “I’m not scared of anybody—if my A-game’s there, I win.” Humphries, eyeing a semifinal rematch of their Worlds final (Littler won 7-4), praised the warning: “Luke’s fiery side is what makes him special—bring it on.” Van Gerwen, out early to van Duijvenbode, added: “The kid’s got fire; that’s why he’s No. 2.”
Fans on X ignited under #LittlerFiery: “Nuke’s warning? Rivals should be worried—106.47 average and he still wins!” As the £600,000 event rolls on, Littler’s message is clear: The fire’s lit, and he’s burning brighter than ever.