Two-time world champion Gary Anderson has sensationally revealed he would turn down a Premier League Darts invitation — even if he goes on to lift the 2026 PDC World Championship trophy at Alexandra Palace.
The Scottish icon, one of the sport’s most decorated and respected figures, has made it clear he has no interest in returning to the high-pressure, travel-heavy Thursday-night roadshow that has long divided opinion among players.
‘I’m Done With Premier League Life’
Anderson, who previously featured in the Premier League for a decade and won the title in 2011, has grown increasingly vocal about his dislike for the competition’s format and schedule.
According to the Flying Scotsman, the weekly travel commitments and commercial obligations simply don’t fit with where he is in his career.
Speaking ahead of the World Championship, Anderson reportedly said:
“Even if I went and won the Worlds again, I’d still say no. The Premier League isn’t for me anymore. I’ve done my time, I’ve played my part, and I’m happy watching others take it on.”
He added that while he still loves competitive darts, he values work–life balance far more than the demands of a 17-week tour across Europe.
Not the First Time Anderson Has Declined
Anderson has previously stepped away from the Premier League — most notably in 2019 when injury forced him out, and again in recent years when he simply opted not to return.
His absence has often sparked debate among fans who believe his smooth, heavy-scoring style and laid-back humour make him one of the competition’s most entertaining draws. But Anderson insists the decision is final.
“It’s no secret I don’t enjoy the travelling. I’ve said it for years. I like picking and choosing my tournaments now.”
Flying Form But Firm Stance
What makes Anderson’s stance more striking is the form he has shown throughout the season. The 53-year-old has enjoyed a late-career resurgence, posting massive averages on the European Tour and looking as dangerous as ever heading into Ally Pally.
Many pundits believe he could make a deep run and even contend for the title — sparking speculation over whether the PDC might tempt him back into the Premier League lineup.
But Anderson has firmly shut that door.
Premier League Selection Debate Intensifies
His refusal adds another layer of intrigue to the 2026 Premier League selection, which already promises to be fiercely contested.
With Luke Littler, Luke Humphries, Michael van Gerwen, Michael Smith, Gerwyn Price, and Rob Cross all in the mix — plus a few breakout stars pushing hard — Anderson’s absence means one less headache for the selectors.
Still, fans will miss the Scotsman’s trademark dry wit and box-office scoring.
A Champion on His Own Terms
Anderson’s willingness to reject one of the sport’s most lucrative and high-profile invitations — even as a potential reigning world champion — reflects a player content with his legacy and confident in what he wants from the final years of his career.
For now, he remains focused solely on his World Championship campaign.
And if he does lift the Sid Waddell Trophy once again, he’ll do it knowing he won’t be travelling across Europe every Thursday night soon after — and that’s exactly how Gary Anderson wants it.