Luke Littler’s stance clear with referees told how to respond after PDC warning

- Advertisement -
Luke Littler’s visible frustration during last year’s Premier League night in Glasgow ultimately prompted PDC officials to issue a stern warning to spectators: stop whistling or face ejection.

The incident took place during Littler’s dramatic 6-5 victory over Luke Humphries at the OVO Hydro in February. With the Premier League returning to the Scottish city for Night Three on Thursday, memories of the chaotic clash remain fresh.

- Advertisement -

Crowd Disruption Mars Thriller

The then-18-year-old battled to a narrow win in Night Two’s final, but the match was repeatedly interrupted by persistent whistling from sections of the crowd as both players stepped up to throw.

- Advertisement -

Frustration was evident on stage, particularly for Humphries at a key moment in the contest. Locked at 4-4 and requiring 119 to check out, Humphries managed only 59 before turning and shaking his head in irritation toward referee Kirk Bevins.

Bevins grabbed the microphone and told the crowd to “Stop whistling” — but the intervention had the opposite effect, with more fans joining in.

- Advertisement -

Sky Sports reporter Abigail Davies criticised the behaviour on social media, writing:

“Yet again, well done to those who paid good money to watch the best darts players in the world and actively contributed to them not delivering their absolute best by whistling.

“Really clever, that. There is no way you can be a fan of the sport if you do that.”

- Advertisement -

Littler: “It Made It Worse”

After the match, Littler admitted the atmosphere had affected both players and suggested the referee’s attempt to quieten the crowd only intensified the disruption.

“Obviously, there were a few in particular that were doing it when Luke was throwing,” Littler said.

“Then when Kirk told them to be quiet, it got even worse. And then I missed doubles. Luke breaks at 5-4 and I am just like: Kirk, you have made it worse for me. I’m 5-4 down.

“But I broke back and held my throw very strongly.”

Despite the distractions, Littler showed resilience to seal the deciding leg and lift the nightly title.

PDC Issues Warning

In response to the controversy, the PDC released a statement reinforcing its stance against crowd behaviour that disrupts matches.

“Following Thursday’s Premier League Darts night in Glasgow, the PDC wishes to strongly reiterate that it does not condone any behaviour which can disrupt an event, such as whistling or booing when players are throwing,” the statement read.

“Every player goes on stage with the intention of performing to the best of their ability and providing an entertaining spectacle for all fans, whether in the venue or watching worldwide.

“As per the terms and conditions of entry to events, spectators who act inappropriately can be removed from the venue. The PDC works closely with Premier League venues, who have responsibility for crowd control, to take proactive and decisive action against those who behave inappropriately.

“The vast majority of fans who attend our sell-out events condemn this behaviour and we will continue to promote a positive atmosphere which gives all players the opportunity to perform at their best.”

Return to Glasgow

Littler and Humphries are both set to return to the OVO Hydro this week, although they would only meet again if both reach the final.

Littler opens against Michael van Gerwen, with a potential semi-final against either Jonny Clayton or Gerwyn Price.

Humphries, meanwhile, faces Josh Rock first up and could meet Gian van Veen or Stephen Bunting in the last four.

With last year’s controversy still remembered, all eyes will be on the Glasgow crowd to see whether the warning has the desired effect.

- Advertisement -

Comments are closed.