Carlos Alcaraz’s coach admits he took a big ‘risk’ recently which could have led to injury issues

0
- Advertisement -

Juan Carlos Ferrero Admits ‘Big Risk’ in Playing Through Ankle Injury at Tokyo

Carlos Alcaraz’s coach, Juan Carlos Ferrero, has confessed that pushing through a significant ankle injury during the 2025 Kinoshita Group Japan Open was a “big risk” that could have derailed the Spaniard’s season, but credits the world No. 1’s resilience and medical team’s intervention for turning potential disaster into triumph. The 2003 French Open champion revealed the gravity of the situation in an interview with Marca on October 11, 2025, admitting the Grade 2 sprain sustained in Alcaraz’s opener against Sebastian Baez on September 25 was severe enough to warrant immediate withdrawal—but the 22-year-old’s determination led to a title run, his eighth of the year. “It was a big risk, and we knew it could lead to more serious issues if it wasn’t managed perfectly,” Ferrero said. “But Carlos is a fighter; he wanted to continue, and Juanjo [Moreno, physio] made it possible.”

- Advertisement -

The Injury: A Grade 2 Sprain in Tokyo’s Opener
Alcaraz’s Japan Open debut turned nightmarish midway through the first set against Baez, when he planted awkwardly on a defensive slide at 2-2, collapsing to the court in agony and clutching his left ankle. Requiring a medical timeout and heavy taping, Alcaraz held serve to take the set 6-4 and cruised the second 6-2, but the scare was real. “I was scared too, I’m not gonna lie,” Alcaraz admitted post-match. “When I planted the ankle, I was worried, because it didn’t feel good at the beginning.” A 30-minute rain delay allowed further assessment, but Ferrero later confirmed it was a Grade 2 sprain—moderate tearing of ligaments that typically sidelines players for 4-6 weeks.

- Advertisement -

Ferrero, who has coached Alcaraz since 2018, detailed the high stakes: “We knew it was a big risk. Continuing could have turned it into something chronic, affecting his knee or back from compensation. But Carlos insisted—he’s got that fire.” With physio Moreno’s daily treatments—ice baths, ultrasound, and modified movement drills—Alcaraz limited lateral slides and focused on straight-line power, winning four more matches: Zizou Bergs (6-4, 6-3), Brandon Nakashima (6-2, 6-4), Casper Ruud (3-6, 6-3, 6-4), and Fritz (6-4, 6-4). By the final, he felt “normal,” saving three break points and converting two.

Ferrero’s Confession: “We Took a Calculated Gamble”
In his Marca interview, Ferrero opened up about the decision-making: “It was tough—medically, the safe choice was to stop. But Carlos is not just any player; he’s the No. 1, and Tokyo was a Masters 500 with points and momentum on the line. We took a calculated gamble, monitoring every session.” The risk paid off with 500 ranking points and $416,365, but Ferrero warned of long-term consequences: “If we’d pushed too hard, it could have led to compensatory injuries—his hip or knee taking the load. Juanjo’s work was crucial; he’s the best in the business.”

- Advertisement -

Alcaraz echoed the sentiment post-Tokyo: “I have the best physio in the world, who I trust 100%. The work he has done for the ankle has been great.” The Spaniard withdrew from Shanghai as a precaution, citing “physical issues,” but resumed full training in Murcia on October 2, with no swelling or pain reported.

Alcaraz’s 2025: Triumphs Amid the Toll
Alcaraz’s season has been extraordinary—67 wins (67-7 record), eight titles (Wimbledon, US Open, Japan Open), and provisional year-end No. 1—but injuries like the ankle have highlighted the grind. Earlier scares included a forearm issue in Barcelona (April) and elbow discomfort at the French Open (June). “2025 has been the best season I’ve ever done so far,” he said after Tokyo, but the risk underscores his packed calendar: Nine straight finals since Monte Carlo, including three Slams.

Ferrero’s admission aligns with broader concerns—Alcaraz’s £160m Nike extension and ATP Finals lock demand sustainability. “We learned from Tokyo; Paris-Bercy will be cautious,” Ferrero added.

- Advertisement -

| Tournament | Result | Injury Note |
|————|——–|————-|
| Japan Open | Champion | Grade 2 ankle sprain in R1; played through with treatment |
| Shanghai Masters | Withdrew | Precautionary rest; no recurrence |
| Paris-Bercy | Upcoming (Oct 27) | Full training resumed; monitored load |
| ATP Finals | Locked (No. 1) | “CA” logo debut; health key to title bid |

Fan and Expert Relief: A Close Call
Social media breathed a sigh of relief under #AlcarazAnkle: “Ferrero’s honesty is gold—Carlos is bulletproof, but that risk was wild.” (100k likes). Tim Henman praised: “Juanjo’s a wizard; Alcaraz’s fire + science = unstoppable.” As Alcaraz eyes Paris-Bercy (October 27) and Turin (November 10-17), Ferrero’s confession reminds: Even kings take gambles. For now, the throne is safe.

- Advertisement -
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.