Darts Star Says PDC Should Pull Events From Germany Amid Luke Littler Withdrawals

0
- Advertisement -

Jonny Clayton Calls for PDC to Pull ProTour Events from Germany Amid Littler Withdrawals

In a bold and controversial statement, Welsh darts star Jonny Clayton has urged the Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) to cease staging ProTour events in Germany, citing logistical frustrations and a pattern of high-profile withdrawals led by world champion Luke Littler. The world No. 6, speaking ahead of the 2025 World Grand Prix in Leicester, highlighted the “hassle” of travel and venue issues at the eight Players Championship events held in Hildesheim this season, where Littler skipped all of them—his first complete boycott of the country since early threats in April.

- Advertisement -

Clayton’s Frustration: Logistics Over Legacy
Clayton’s comments, made during a press event on October 6, stem from the ProTour’s behind-closed-doors format in Germany, which he argues burdens players without the payoff of fan-filled arenas. “Germany is a huge market and an amazing place to play darts with a crowd,” Clayton told Darts News. “But the ProTour there? It’s a hassle—travel, hotels, no atmosphere. Littler’s pulled out of all eight in Hildesheim, and I’m not far behind. The PDC should pull them until it’s fixed.” He skipped the last two PC tournaments in September, echoing Littler’s selective approach amid a grueling 120+ match year.

- Advertisement -

Littler’s absences in Germany—eight Players Championships totaling £1 million in prizes—have been notable, with the teen citing scheduling conflicts and past crowd hostility (booed in Munich’s German Darts Grand Prix semi-final loss to van Veen in April). “Shouldn’t have been in Munich but had to play anyway,” Littler posted on Instagram then, vowing to skip until Dortmund in October. He followed through, withdrawing from the European Darts Grand Prix in May, but returned for the World Cup with Humphries in June. Clayton’s call amplifies the issue, questioning if Germany’s ProTour role justifies the “pointless” logistics for stars like Littler, Humphries, and van Gerwen, who also cherry-pick events.

Littler’s Withdrawals: A Pattern of Selectivity
Littler’s Germany snubs are part of a broader strategy to avoid burnout, having played just 12 of 27 Players Championships this year, leaving him tied 58th on the PCOM (£21,000) and risking Minehead exclusion. His elbow niggle forced a PC 28 pull-out last week, but Clayton’s rant focuses on systemic problems: “The venues are fine for Euro Tour with crowds, but ProTour? It’s a drag. Littler’s the face of darts— if he’s out, why hold them?”

- Advertisement -

PDC insiders defend the eight Hildesheim events as vital for Germany’s growing market, but Clayton’s plea resonates amid Littler’s management split with ZXF and hints at a lighter 2026. “It’s not about the crowds—it’s the travel for nothing,” Clayton added. Littler’s Grand Prix opener vs. van Veen (October 7) tests his form, but Clayton’s words spotlight a rift: ProTour’s role in player welfare vs. expansion.

The Bigger Debate: PDC’s Global Push vs. Player Burnout
Clayton’s call-out taps into darts’ boom—Littler’s Triple Crown drew 9.2 million Worlds viewers—but at what cost? Germany’s ProTour events, introduced in 2023, boost the calendar’s 34 one-day £125,000 tournaments, but withdrawals from top seeds like Littler (all eight), Humphries (six), and van Gerwen (four) dilute quality. Clayton, who skipped two, argued: “Pull them or make them worth it—darts is global, but not like this.”

Fans on X divided: #PullGermany trended with “Clayton’s right—Littler’s skipping for a reason,” but others defended: “Germany’s massive—don’t punish fans.” PDC chairman Barry Hearn has yet to respond, but with the World Cup in Frankfurt (June 2026), the issue looms large. As Littler eyes the £120,000 Grand Prix prize, Clayton’s warning signals a tipping point: Darts’ growth can’t come at the expense of its stars.

- Advertisement -

| Player | Germany ProTour Withdrawals (2025) | Reason Cited |
|——–|———————————–|————–|
| Luke Littler | 8/8 | Scheduling, past crowd issues |
| Luke Humphries | 6/8 | Selective focus on majors |
| Michael van Gerwen | 4/8 | Form management |
| Jonny Clayton | 2/8 | Travel/logistics hassle |

Clayton’s plea isn’t a boycott—it’s a wake-up call. As darts rides Littler’s wave, the PDC must balance borders with burnout, or risk losing its golden boy to the grind.

- Advertisement -
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.