Jack Draper has opened up about his recent decision to train with Jannik Sinner in Monaco, despite the world No. 1 currently serving a three-month suspension due to a doping-related case.
Following his early exit at the Monte-Carlo Masters, Draper returned to Monaco to spar with Sinner, who is currently allowed to resume official training ahead of his return at the Italian Open in May. Draper, a close friend of the Italian star, has defended his choice to team up with him.
“When people ask about Jannik, I tell the truth – he’s a genuine, kind person and an incredible player,” Draper told the BBC and The Guardian. “In this situation, I’m sure he had absolutely zero idea of any wrongdoing. Sometimes, mistakes happen.”
Sinner tested positive twice last year for the banned substance clostebol, which he and his team attributed to contamination through a former physiotherapist. While he initially kept playing after a successful appeal, WADA later challenged the ruling. The two parties eventually reached a resolution in February, resulting in Sinner accepting a retroactive three-month suspension ending May 4.
Despite some criticism within the tennis community, Draper stood by his friend.
“He doesn’t deserve the hate,” Draper said. “He’s a good person, and I think it’s important people recognize that.”
The Brit was also eager to sharpen his clay-court game after a 1–1 run in Monte Carlo. Given Sinner’s skill level, Draper saw it as a valuable opportunity.
“I knew Jannik was available and training in Monte Carlo, so we arranged a few days of practice,” he explained. “If you’re going to train, why not train with the best? Even after some time off, his level is amazing.”
Looking ahead, Draper will now shift focus to the Madrid Open, where he enters the second round with a bye. He could face Novak Djokovic in the quarterfinals, depending on the draw.