Luke Littler opponent refuses to talk about him as ‘rivalry’ claim made

- Advertisement -

Luke Littler’s next opponent at the Poland Darts Masters insists he is staying quiet about the reigning world champion — for fear of “firing him up”.

At just 19, Littler is already a two-time world champion after thrashing Gian van Veen 7-1 in the final at Alexandra Palace last month to secure his second title. He followed that by winning the World Masters, leaving only the European Championship standing between him and darts’ coveted Career Slam.

- Advertisement -

Despite his dominance, “The Nuke” has endured a modest start to the Premier League Darts season, winning just one match across the opening three nights. Having also skipped all four Players Championship events so far this year, Littler unusually arrives at the opening European Tour event of 2026 still searching for top form.

- Advertisement -

He faces Mike De Decker, the 2024 World Grand Prix champion, in the last 32 in Poland after receiving a first-round bye as world No.1.

Littler comfortably beat De Decker 3-0 at last year’s World Grand Prix, with the Belgian averaging just 74. After that match, Littler stirred debate by describing the win as “a bit boring at times”.

- Advertisement -

“Obviously I expected something from the reigning champion, but he just couldn’t get those doubles to get him going on the scoring most of the time, and I just had to do my job,” he said.

While the remark appeared matter-of-fact rather than malicious, former World Championship quarter-finalist Vincent van der Voort criticised it as “inappropriate and not very respectful” on his Darts Draait Door podcast — though he admitted the comments might add extra spice to their rivalry.

De Decker never publicly responded, but pushed Littler much harder at the World Masters, missing a match dart that would have knocked the world No.1 out.

- Advertisement -

Asked ahead of their Poland rematch about the growing rivalry, De Decker kept things measured.

“It was a good game,” he said. “If you get a match dart against the world number one and the player who’s been dominating the sport for the past two years, you’re doing a good job.

“Hopefully I do that again, but we’ll worry about that on Saturday.

“I’m not going to speak out, because then he’ll be fired up — and I don’t want him to be fired up. We’ll see.”

Meanwhile, Rob Cross believes Littler will be highly motivated after losing on the opening night of the Premier League to Van Veen.

“He’s played the best players in the world for the last two years over short formats,” Cross said. “He’s reached both Premier League finals and won one of them, so he’s not that vulnerable.

“Luke won’t be bothered by his opening-night defeat — but it might make him even more fired up.”

- Advertisement -

Comments are closed.